We have received many similar problem reports after users update the theme, plugin, or even WordPress itself. Except in rare cases because of compatibility issues with new versions of WordPress, most cases are due to the following two reasons:
- If you are a user of our themes – you have updated the theme to the latest version, but you forget to update the theme’s required plugin.
- Cache plugin and the old cache files.
We will explain them in details.
Situation 1 – Forgot to update the theme’s required plugin
If you are a user of our themes, you will know that, like many other premium WordPress themes, the theme has a required plugin called “Theme-name Extension“. When updating the theme, usually you will see this note in your WordPress dashboard:
“The following plugin needs to be updated to its latest version to ensure maximum compatibility with this theme: theme-name Extension.”
You can also check in your site dashboard > Plugins > find the “Theme-name Extension” plugin to see if it displays an update notification.
Solution: Update the required plugin to the latest version too.
Situation 2 – Cache plugin and the old cache files
Caching plugins can improve the performance of your website. However, due to the old cache files, sometimes, after you update the theme, plugins and even WordPress itself, the old cache files are not (completely) cleared, which can cause strange problems on the newer version of your website.
Here is the solution:
- Before you are going to update the theme, or plugins, or the WordPress itself, please disable all cache plugins first.
- If you do not plan to update any software, but if you want to change the appearance and functionality of the site, please disable all cache plugins first too. (This is also a common issue related to the old cache files.)
- After updating the software, please reactivate the cache plugin, and be sure to clear the old cache files.
- After that, you need to clear your browser’s cache. Or, use a browser that has not cached your site to browse your site to see the results. (We have also received many reports caused by the browser cache not being cleared.)
Operation sequence: First re-minify the code > Then clear the old cache files (stored on your website) > And then clear the browser cache.